First U.S. Electric Traffic Lights in Cleveland, Ohio
The first electric traffic signal in the United States was installed on August 5, 1914, at the intersection of East 105th Street and Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. This installation is widely recognized as the first of its kind in America, even though earlier manual and gas-lit systems had been used in cities like London and Paris.
By the early 1900s, Cleveland’s streets were crowded with pedestrians, horses, wagons, streetcars, and automobiles, leading to frequent accidents and congestion. Police officers often had to direct traffic manually, but this was dangerous and inefficient. The city sought a more reliable system.
The signal was designed by James Hoge, who later received U.S. patent 1,251,666 for his “Municipal Traffic Control System” in 1918. The Cleveland installation used four pairs of red and green lights mounted on corner posts, wired to a manually operated switch in a control booth. The system ensured that conflicting signals could not occur, improving safety and efficiency
Red light: Signal to stop.
Green light: Signal to proceed.
Bells: Two long rings for Euclid Avenue traffic, one long ring for East 105th Street traffic.
Control: A traffic policeman stationed in a booth at the northwest corner operated the switch to change the lights.
The Cleveland installation was tested by Safety Director Alfred Benesch and was hailed as a “revolutionary method in handling traffic”. It was witnessed by city officials, business leaders, police, and the press, marking a turning point in traffic control technology in the U.S.
While other early electric signals existed - such as Lester Wire’s in Salt Lake City in 1912 - the Cleveland system was the first to be fully electric, automated, and widely recognized as the first in America. It paved the way for later innovations, including the addition of yellow lights in 1920.